Thursday, August 02, 2007

i couldn't be less prepared

this week i was called upon (suddenly) to teach a workshop session for a conference for afterschool programs at Chico State. My session description follows:
Tap into the natural creativity your students bring to your program and let them tell stories through video, produce news segments, and music videos! Bring your own digital videocameras or use one of ours to get basic instruction on how to shoot quality video with a simple handheld camera. Teams will be given the overview of the features found on most modern handheld video cameras, then given a "video shoot" mission to pursue and capture on campus. Upon return from their mission, teams will be shown how to move their video from their camera to their computers for some easy editing and publishing. The skills and activities of this workshop will be easy to follow and easy to implement with students back in your programs.
Someone asked me after the first day's session how it went... "I don't think i could have been any less prepared..." was my response. My son's 11th birthday party was the day before. Keeping 5 boys busy all night was my highest priority, not this session, unfortunately. 
The second day's session was going to be quite different. I planned ahead. I brought a handout showing storyboarding for a Beastie Boys video and then showed the video so they could see the similarities and differences. I wrote on the board before the session started so my handwriting was legible. Everything, just right... but only 3 people showed up. One of them was sent there by the lady in charge, so she barely counts (I thought she was a spy to see how well i was doing... until it was reiterated that she is single.) I was disappointed, but it there was more hands-on time so i guess it went better.


Today's session was much better. The lab was full, like the first day, and i was able to go through everything i wanted (including showing the Beastie Boys video) while still having time to let them play with the video cameras for awhile and edit together their footage a bit. It's been a long week though. I think i'll go back to sitting behind a desk again.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home