Monday, January 29, 2007

hi, mom

I got a nice phone call from my mom yesterday morning, which unexpectedly included a confession: she found my blog. She was the one that called it a confession. To me it felt more like happenstance. I don't really do much to hide my blog, or to disassociate it from my true identity, or to advertise it. There are times where this has bitten me, but not too hard. It started out as something that i just wanted to have for my own purposes, but eventually i led some people towards it, while some others i've just sent here directly. It's a snapshot of the last two years of my life, so if you really want to know about me, this is a good place to start.

Along the way, this has created quite a ragtag audience which has included (and maybe still does) the following ...
  • 1 parent
  • 3 or 4 former co-workers
  • some characters that are just one layer removed, close to people that i know though not that close to me
  • former lovers and girlfriends, constituting at least half the women i'm ever had sex with
  • some whom i had considered to be potential lovers, had circumstances been different
  • my current lover
How to deal? I guess i could cut down what i talk about, leaving me to separate the safe topics from the taboo, but I don't really go into too much detail on the taboo so who really cares? I mean sure, i should probably stop casually mentioning possible flirtatious moves by my local barista, for fear of getting her beat up. Other than that, is there anything that's off-limits?

Looking back at that list, it seems silly for me to try to hide anything on here. Most of those people know me far better than any blog could tell you. They each understand details and subtleties and significance far more than you'll learn through reading my own writings. Maybe it's like the five blind men feeling around on an elephant - they all have a different perception of one piece of me, but it's difficult for any to have the full picture.

I have seen you in various stages of undress.
I have seen you through various states of madness.
I have seen your refractions and I did not recognize you.
I have seen you in various states of madness.
Various Stages - Great Lake Swimmers

,

4 Comments:

At 2/06/2007 12:26 AM, Blogger molli. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2/09/2007 9:07 AM, Blogger Chris said...

-Add one disconnected brother in alabama to your list now. I found your blog through flickr. Anything juicy in here?

 
At 2/13/2007 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice.
i noticed your cut down on how often you write here... you must have another secret blog out there.

 
At 2/23/2007 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,
I'm having a boring Friday night so I thought I'd check in again to see if you had written anything interesting. Only because you seemed to be saying it was okay when I made my big "confession" of reading your blog. I feel honored that I am the subject of one of your blog entries! :-) - So, when do I get to meet the new love of your life? Curious as always! Love, Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home