Sunday, August 02, 2009

the noticing

a little while back, we said some things, back and forth, and then we stopped, and then i wondered. i didn't hear from you much at all for a little while, and started to wonder and worry. then i saw what you had been listening to and it was as much of a message as i needed at the time...

Don't Break My Heart
When Your Mind's Made Up
Last Time We Spoke
Nothing Better than a Journey to You
Have You Seen My Love
There Will be Distance
True Love Waits
I Ain't Done, But I'm Going
Good Woman
I Will Be There When You Die
If You Want Me

They were like smoke signals. I thought a bit about smoke signals: how fleeting they are, how much effort you have to put into sending the signal, and how you're not really sure the person on the other end will even get the message. I bet the process of sending smoke signals is extremely rewarding though, just going to the effort providing some relief. Like writing a letter to your love with a quill and ink. Sometimes you just need to send the message, even if the other person doesn't get it.

But what really caught my mind these last few weeks is the process of trying to be noticed, and when someone actually does notice. I've never been big on calling attention to myself. I minimize, i sit back, i don't capitalize my i's. I know this doesn't always serve me well, but it's the way i've always been. I like what's comfortable, not that which calls attention. So much of our society now seems to be focused on this "look at me!!" attitude; from the huge pictures on t-shirts, to the constant status updates, to the exposed flesh and diamond-studded thongs, to all the little flashy things we surround ourselves with. They aren't really you, they aren't who you want to be, you just hope someone will notice that witty saying on your t-shirt and then come and say hi. I've done it too, and now i'm starting to see how pathetic it is.

And then i remember what it's like to be noticed by someone, not for all the little things we surround ourselves with, but for the deep-down guts that reside inside. For the thoughts we let slip out, for the mannerisms and manners, and the absurd way we see the world. For the special part that a t-shirt will never express. For the beauty that you'd miss if you didn't pay attention. But every once in awhile, a long long while, you find someone that does pay attention. And if you're lucky, you notice that special thing in them as well. I don't really believe in love-at-first-sight, or that there's one true soulmate for each person out there. On the other hand, i know that you can know in just an instant, and i know that finding something true is a rare and beautiful thing, like a four-leaf clover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home